Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Recipe - Garlic Watercress Eggs

We purchase organic produce from Bountiful Baskets each week. I like that they have organic and non-organic baskets because my mother-in-law doesn't buy organic and this gives her the chance to get more veggies and fruit into her diet. If it's in her home, she won't let it go to waste. So, she will eat it. Never thought I would use that little trait to help her be healthier, but whatever it takes.

In my box last week I received watercress. First of all, I had no clue what it was. It was the only thing not labeled in my box. Second, the only thing I knew about watercress was those little sandwiches everyone seems to make fun of and no one I know has actually ever eaten.

I started with Google and discovered that it was, indeed, watercress. I had just guessed.
Good guess.

Then I asked my husband what we do with watercress. His response? Don't they make sandwiches out of it? OK, so that's really the only thing most people know about it. I am feeling much better.

I then went on the hunt for recipes. Obviously watercress and butter sandwiches wasn't going to cut it in my home. That's when I discovered a secret that only I didn't seem to know. Watercress is wild about eggs.

I decided to try some recipes this weekend and have come up with a favorite in our home. Check it out. I never would have thought I would like this, but figured I had nothing but a few eggs and some watercress to lose, so why not.

Our favorite recipe is below with a tweak that we discovered the second time we had them.
Garlic Watercress Eggs

  • 3 - 4 eggs
  • 1 clove garlic, diced very small, nearly minced
  • 1 small handful watercress
  • 1 Tbsp (approx) favorite oil for sauteing
  • Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
Directions:
  1. Put skillet over medium heat and add oil. Make sure to coat the bottom of the pan. 
  2. Add garlic and begin saute. 
  3. Just before done (it will not take long, 30 seconds or so) add in watercress and saute until just turns limp (very fast).
  4. Remove from pan and set aside
  5. Whisk eggs until they are a good scramble. They will pour off of a fork when they are very well combined. 
  6. Add to pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until done.
  7. Put the watercress and garlic you just sauteed back into the eggs and stir until combined. 
  8. Serve warm
Variation:
  • Instead of using oil, make bacon before you do anything else. 
  • Leave bacon grease in pan and follow steps 2 - 6 above. 
  • When adding in watercress and garlic, chop bacon and add it as well so that you now have bacon garlic watercress eggs. 
  • Drool! Oops, sorry, I mean serve warm. This would be incredible on a tortilla with a touch of cheese, salsa, and other toppings. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Random Acts of Boyhood Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template