Friday, January 8, 2016

Must Reads of 2016

Books, books, BOOKS! 

I love books. My kids love books. We love books. I don't mean those e-books you find a dime a dozen. Sure, we use those. They are great for trips or for our school reading that I do for the kids. I can get those books for free or very cheap and that's huge since we need so many. No, I am talking about real paper, a spine that makes the crink noise when you open it the first time, the smell of an old bookshop real books.

Wait, I am growing faint a bit with excitement. Give me a minute.

OK, I am back.

Books.

I read a lot. I read to my kids, I read for my kids health issues, I read for my own health, and I read for pleasure. I always tell my kids that the most important skill to learn in school is how to read. If you know how to read, you can learn anything. It's true. I talked myself into a company by convincing them that they could really use a receptionist. They didn't have one. I chatted with the CFO because I had a chance to meet him outside of any job interview and wanted to be a part of the company. I talked my way into the front door. It was a tech company. I had no tech experience. I started to read. I read and read and read. I listened to the tech guys talking and then read about what they talked about. I looked around to figure out what was costing the company a lot of money, then I read about it a lot, and talked to the big wigs into giving me a chance with it. I got opportunities unheard of in that company because I educated myself. This lead to an incredible job in the tech field where I continued to learn by reading in my free time. No one knew I was doing it. I just did it and then went to those with the ability to give me a chance.

READ! BOOKS!

So, what's on my list for this year, you might ask? I will be glad to share it with you.

OK, I admit it, I jumped on the band wagon. Trim Healthy Mama is in my living room being read as I post. The concept is one I like and it's a lifestyle change we can actually stick with, so I figured why not.

The seller says about their book:

Counting calories is out.  All the food groups are in.  Becoming trim and healthy doesn't have to be difficult or painstaking anymore.  After trying almost every fad diet out there, Serene Allison and Pearl Barrett, creators of the Trim Healthy Mama movement, took matters into their own hands. Through trial and error and much research, they created the TRIM HEALTHY MAMA PLAN, the breakthrough lifestyle program to help readers of all ages and stages get healthy, slim down and keep off the weight once and for all.  
Based on the authors’ successful self-published book, this simplified, improved, practical plan shows readers a unique way to lose weight and get healthy by eliminating sugar, and still eating hearty, delicious food. The biblically-sound and highly effective eating approach centers on Satisfying meals (which include more fats and protein) and Energizing meals (which include more carbs and protein), as they are the key to success.  Scrumptious whole, unprocessed foods, including fats, blood sugar friendly grains, proteins, fruits, and vegetables, are eaten in a way that boosts metabolism, yet still fits into anyone’s hectic lifestyle.  It’s family friendly and effective for pregnant and nursing mothers, pre or post- menopausal women, and also those without weight or health issues—even men and growing children.

The book includes menu plans, a list of key super foods to eat on plan, time-saving tips, and pantry stocking and lifestyle advice to help readers successfully reach their goals.

 I got the book, I had to have the cookbook. No, really, I HAD to have it. I am a cookbook sucker. This one has such tasty recipes. If you don't believe me, just check out their Bangin' Chicken Drums and you will be sold. Add in their homemade ranch dip and yummy!! I have so many more recipes to try as  I S and E my way through this year.

For my son who has food issues, and I think we are missing a few or maybe it's environmental. This book is well over 600 pages long, which is crazy long for a book of this type for parents. But, I was told it was THE book to get, so I got it. I will be starting it next.

The seller says about their book:
These are the major symptoms of potentially unrecognized allergies. Does your child suffer from any of the following?
• Allergic Nose Rub • Eye Circles • Red Ears • Red Cheeks • Eye Wrinkles • Aggression • Lack of Alertness • Mottled Tongue •
In this breakthrough book, Dr. Doris Rapp offers a simple yet effective approach to handling "problem" children. Is This Your Child? shows parents how to identify the common foods, chemicals, or common allergic substances that could be the culprits that cause some children or adults to feel unwell or act inappropriately. If your child is always sick, hyperactive, a slow learner, or cranky, the first question you should ask is not "What drug should be prescribed?" or "What have I done wrong as a parent?" Instead, find out the cause.
Dr. Rapp gives sensible suggestions about how these reactions to foods and environmental factors can be recognized, prevented, and treated. With this information, many affected children should feel, act, behave, and learn better. If you can detect unsuspected environmental illness in your child--or yourself--you can change your lives so you're more content, happy, and free of illness.

 We heard Dr. Grandin speak last month. From my quick glance at this book, this is the closest you will get to what she shares on stage in written form. I like that it starts with her talking about sensory issues in people with Autism and ends with her answering questions from real people who are living it or love someone who is.

The seller says about their book:
Winner of a 2015 Academic's Choice Award, this is your pocket guide to Temple Grandin; a great introduction to her thoughts and advice on both autism and sensory issues! 

Dr. Temple Grandin is a doctor of animal science, a professor at Colorado State University, a best-selling author, an autism activist, and a consultant on animal behavior. She also invented the "squeeze machine", a device to calm the sensory systems of those on the autism spectrum. The subject of an award-winning, 2010 biographical film, Temple Grandin, she also was listed in the Time 100 list of the one hundred most influential people in the world in the "Heroes" category. 

Have you even wanted to talk to Temple about the sensory issues people with autism, Asperger's, PDD and Sensory Processing Disorder deal with? Here, in this handy reference book, Temple gives a overview of what it is like to have autism and sensory difficulties, tells how she overcame her sensory issues, gives useful tips, then answers your questions in an easy to reference Q&A.

Those are the books on my night stand for the start of 2016. Hopefully I will finish them by month's end year's end. I hope you find one book on my list that you haven't read before and will check it out.


Our Must Read Books for 2016 {Dad & Mum's Book Stand}

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Random Acts of Boyhood Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template