Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Took a Chance

Our younger son decided that he wanted to learn to play the piano. (or pinano as he calls it) I called around, found 3 teachers to talk to, chatted with them, and found one we felt would be the best fit. I signed him up and yesterday was his very first lesson.

I will start with the fact that he loves it. Yes, it's day one, but I think he will continue to love it because he's very musically inclined. He is always singing (has since he was old enough to make noise on purpose), loves to listen to any kind of music, has quite a nice collection of music from various genres, and is very interested in musical instruments/making his own music.

But, what is this chance we took? For the first time ever, when putting our kids into something like this, I didn't inform the teacher he had any special needs. I simply signed him up and figured if it came up and the teacher needed to know, we would cross that bridge at that time.

We will see how it goes. I just don't want our sons to be their labels to everyone. I want them to stand on their own merits, let people get to know them and not those letters after their name, and we will deal with what comes. There might come a time when we need to inform people, but most don't need that information. And, on top of that, our children deserve their medical privacy.

I will let you know how it turns out for us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Random Acts of Boyhood Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template