Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Back to the Future Hodgepodge

Talk about good timing. Joyce, at "This Side of the Pond" does a weekly Hodgepodge on Wednesdays. THIS Wednesday happens to be Back to the Future Day. Wahoo. So, prepare for a fun filled Hodgepodge and then head on over to her blog and see what she and other people have to say about it. Should be fun. 

Hop in your Delorean and let's go.

1. October 21, 2015 is Back to the Future Day. Did you see the movie? The sequels? In the second film, Doc takes Marty into the future to prevent Marty's future son from making a mistake. They leave 1985 and land on a 'skyway' on October 21st, 2015. So tell us, what were you doing in the fall of 1985?

Back to the Future !!!! Yes, I saw it. I saw it many times. I saw all of them, though I only really liked the first one. Fall of 1985? I was in school, freshman year. I was learning about how to navigate high school. I was still in my first high school preparing to move to a new town because my Mom had a new job. 

2.  If time travel were possible, would you want to go to the future? The past?

I would go to the past. I would love to learn from pioneer women and how they cooked from scratch. Talk about some yummy recipes. I would also love to take my grocery budget and buy food back then. LOL. Think about THOSE prices.

3. We're not flying cars, but some of the technology imagined in the 80's film has indeed come to pass in real life 2015-flat screen TVs on the wall, tablets, fingerprint recognition, video conferencing, online banking, 3-D movies, motion controlled video games, drone cameras, and smart glasses (Google glass).  Do you worry technology is growing at a rate so fast we'll soon be unable to keep up with it's demands? Do you think the Internet does more harm than good? 

I do worry about technology. I am a tech girl. I worked in the tech field before settling down and becoming a Mom. So, I have an appreciation for technology. However, I think this has gone into a place I wished it wouldn't. Tech is taking over people's lives. You can't go anywhere and not see a cell phone being used for non-necessary purposes. You can't go to dinner and not see a kid with a tablet/iPad to entertain themselves (and some restaurants have them at the table so, if you forgot yours, you can pay a little money and use it there). People can't eat a meal without putting it on Facebook. Some of the things we read about on Facebook shouldn't be shared with anyone, much less hundreds of people online. We have computers are work, in our cars, in our stores, everywhere. I even stopped at a gas station the other day and, on the screen, after I paid, it popped up games for me to play while I waited for my gas to fill up. Really? Is it that boring getting a tank of gas that I need tech to help me through it?

The internet is a good thing. I have gotten a lot of help for our boys medical issues because of research I can do now that I never could have before. But we have to start putting it in it's place. 

4. Your favorite dish prepared in a slow-cooker? Your favorite fast food?

Hmm, my favorite slow cooker recipe is nasty nachos. My favorite fast food is a bowl at Chipotle. I know that's considered "fast casual", but it's fast food. 

5. No time like the present, down time, face time, pressed for time, in the nick of time, make time, mark time, or just in time...which timely saying most relates to your life right now? 

Make time - I have so much to do and I just have to make time to do it each day. Sometimes that's the hardest part of all, forcing yourself to get all the new things on your plate done and also all the things that have to be done each day without fail. 

6. Tell us about a place you went as a child or younger person that's no longer there or is now something else. How does that make you feel?

Growing up in a city is such an odd thing. We drive and see farm land on the outskirts. Now I drive those same roads and it's houses, companies, stores, malls, movie theaters, and more. I remember driving between two good sized suburbs as a teen and we always had to go down this long winding road. It was tree lined, in the middle of nowhere, and, at the top of the hill, was this old farm house. It was white clapboard siding, two story, and just looked like history. I always wanted to stop and ask to go in it. There was a pond near it that looked so much like an outline of the United States.

I never did and it's all gone now. In it's place, housing additions, a Target and strip center. They even bulldozed the pond. It's sad. I think we are not building with any thought to the future. We tear down quality construction, history, and even water sources, and just build. We might regret that one day. 

7. Describe your comfort zone.

My comfort zone is my daily life. I know what to expect, even with the medical stuff and such, that seems to be a known to me. I know when we eat, when we have meds, when we have school, when, when, when. I love our land and our home, and I draw comfort from that. I am at my best here. I am the captain of my proverbial ship and run smoothly in this position that God so blessed me with. 

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Some HUGE things happened to us this week, and I mean huge. First, an organization blessed us with a new deck and ramp for our son's wheelchair. It's so incredibly nice. It has a big 8'x8' deck and a 36' ramp off to the right. On the left they added stairs for those of us with no chair. 

Yesterday a friend popped in with another blessing. His company had a power chair for our son. We have a manual chair now. Our DME got us a very nice, high end manual chair. But this is an incredible blessing as it gives our son a bit of freedom in his mobility and it has off-road wheels so he can use it in our yard. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Random Acts of Boyhood Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template